COVID-19 and the Law: What Cancer Patients Need to Know **Updated October 22, 2021**
Updates on the American Rescue Plan
Links to articles summarizing key elements of the American Rescue Plan, signed into law by President Biden on March 11, 2021, that may be of special interest to cancer patients, survivors, and their families:
- Protecting Your Finances During the Coronavirus Pandemic-Information from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Major Consumer Protections Announced in Response to COVID-19-This comes from the National Consumer Law Center and will be updated as laws change. Excellent information on consumer debt, bankruptcy, foreclosure, debt collection, student loans, price gouging, and more.
- Here are answers for employees who have concerns about returning to work and information about what employers must to do ensure a safe workplace.
- Here is a good listing of the various laws related to COVID-19 that protect workers in Minnesota.
- Filing for Unemployment Benefits -Everything You Need to Know for Filing for Unemployment Benefits in Minnesota.
There are many changes regarding health insurance as result of the COVID-19 pandemic and legislation that has been passed because of it.
In Minnesota, the best places for up-to-the-minute information on what insurance you might be eligible for given a change in your income, family status (birth, death, divorce), job status is MNsure.org or PorticoHealthnet.org
**Note** if you live in Minnesota, the health insurance exchange you need to visit is MNsure, not the federal site (healthcare.gov) that states without their own state-specific portal like MNsure use. You can also contact PorticoHealthnet in great confidence as they work very closely with MNsure and other nonprofits like Cancer Legal Care to help many, many people to understand the complex eligibility rules and plan differences in making these decisions.
- ADDITIONALLY, the American Rescue Plan which was signed into law by President Biden on March 11, 2021 will make significant changes in eligibility for MNsure plans and premium subsidies. Check back here for more details as they are released.
- American Rescue Plan's Impact on the Affordable Care Act
- Here is a Health Insurance Market Calculator from the Kaiser Family Foundation that will help you get an idea as to how the new law will affect your family. Also, a calculator on MNsure to help estimate costs of various plans based on your income.
- MNsure's 4/20/21 press release on deductibles and out-of-pocket payments made so far in 2021 may be transferable to a MNsure new plan with your same insurance company
- MNsure's 4/6/21 press release on the expanded tax credits and how Minnesotans can benefit
*Failing to pay your COBRA premiums does NOT make you eligible for a special enrollment period.
For a brief period from April 1, 2021 to September 30,2021, the American Rescue Plan Act signed in to law by President Biden on March 11, 2021 will offer special COBRA benefits to people who meet certain eligibility criteria. More details here.
- Eviction Moratorium Phaseout Information & FAQs
- Information and Help for Minnesotans-start here for a wealth of Minnesota specific information related to protecting your housing
- Resources on mortgage help and renter protections-From the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau
- help for requesting forbearance or mortgage relief
- learn what to do if you just entered mortgage forbearance, need more time, or are ready to exit
- learn how to protect yourself from being evicted if you are a renter
- Additional protections for homeowners-From the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau
- Moratorium on single-family foreclosures and evictions extended until June 30, 2021-the Federal Housing Finance Agency announced this extension on February 25, 2021 for the moratorium that was set to expire on March 30, 2021. For more details, see the FHFA website.
- If you are behind on rent, you can immediately apply for emergency rental assistance from RentHelpMN or by calling 2-1-1. Must apply by June 1, 2022 in order to be protected.
- Information about the Minnesota Eviction Moratorium Phaseout - HomeLine provides information, FAQs, and a helpful timeline to help undertand tye types of evictions permitted now that the moratorium has been lifted (6/29/21)
- President Biden Orders 90-day extension to the federal eviction moratorium through the end of June 2021
- COVID-19: Renters' Rights During the Pandemic
- Minnesota COVID Emergency Rental Assistance
- Emergency Executive Order 20-79
- Housing Discrimination and Eviction Protection
- Final Extension to the Student Loan Repayment Pause Ends on January 31, 2022
- Emergency Relief Measures to Federal Student Loan Repayments extended until at least September 30, 2021--as part of the CARES Act signed into law on March 27, 2020, broad relief for federal student loan borrowers was enacted, and extended on January 20, 2021. Lots of your very specific questions are answered here
- For ongoing updates and info, visit the Federal Student Aid Coronavirus Forbearance Website